I’m a total fan of Tolkien. So, when I find a story that is a worthy fantasy adventure, I like to recommend it and talk to the author. J. Edwards Holt has written a children’s fantasy epic adventure called Little Men, Big Treasures. After getting a degree in education, he followed his dream to be a children’s author. Now a full-time writer, illustrator and blogger, Mr. Holt spends his time spreading his Christian message through his passion of telling stories.
I had a chance to talk to J. Edwards Holt about his inspirational stories from his childhood, what he liked to tackle as subjects, and what writing is to him.
- Who was your favorite author and how did they influence you?
- J. Edwards Holt: C. S. Lewis has always been my favorite author. From the very first time I opened “The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe”, I fell in love with his style. After that, I read the remaining Narnia books and, of course, enjoyed all of them. As a Christian author myself, I appreciate the messages that Lewis communicates in his novels. While there are many authors that I like (J.K. Rowling, Dr. Seuss, Rick Riordian are just a few examples), C. S. Lewis is the one that I mold myself after the most.
- What subjects would you like to write about in future projects?
- J. Edwards Holt: Both of my current books are fantasy-themed (“little Men, Big Treasures” and it’s sequel “The Summoner’s Gem”), so in the future I hope to write more fantasy fiction, and maybe even some science fiction at some point. I also wouldn’t mind writing at least one non-fiction book as well.
- What is writing to you in one sentence?
- J. Edwards Holt: If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I would say that, for me, writing is a way of teaching and spreading a message.
Little Men, Big Treasures is a fantastic epic tale of grand adventure, incredible battles, and sacrifice. O’Balin, son of Blorn is an eager young dwarf and native to the mysterious Mountain Realm. He’s been a treasure hunter his whole life. So, when he hears that the King of the Mountain Realm is offering a reward for whoever finds the Lost Treasure of Undur, he’s ready to take the challenge. Going against warnings from his family and friends, O’Balin gathers a company to go on the journey of a lifetime. What sacrifice will it take to find the treasure? Get lost in the battles, talk of kings and dwarves, and dive into this tale of adventure.
Little Men, Big Treasures is available at Amazon.com and is a Kindle Unlimited title.